Tuesday, March 15, 2016

LAUGHFEST INTERVIEWS—PART 2

A few years ago, I met the most AMAZING pastor! Like me, she is dedicated to seeing the comedy of the Bible and of life. She's not afraid to push the envelope so people make new and profound discoveries about the Divine and about themselves. Not only that, she's talented beyond belief and hysterically funny. That pastor is Jane Voigts and she's become a dear, dear friend. For the past two years, she has helped lead the Laugh-Fest of the Midwest and we are delighted to welcome her back! 



Nobody can bring out the comedy—and spiritual potential—of polyester pant suits...and inspire others to do the same....than Jane Voigts!  Comedian, writer and Methodist Minister, Jane is one of the great hopes for modern religious life. She graduated from the Claremont School of Theology in 1996.  There she created an improv troupe of seminarians called Angelic Residue; they played improv games with scripture and were a huge hit everywhere we went..  She even created a full-fledged Comedy Church in Toluca Lake, California.  She's presently working on a book about the biblical account of the birth of Isaac (ie "laughter") as well as an evening of entertainment entitled, The Bible Cabaret:  A Comedy and Music Review Starring the Old and New Testaments.  In her spare time, she collects polyester pant suits and figures out how to get out of the splits. At the Laugh-Fest, Jane will be leading us in hilarious improvisation exercises as well as offering a comedic performance at a Lutheran church nearby. Check out her website: janevoigts.com.

To help you get to know Jane, I'm sharing this interview with her.


LAURA: Jane, this will be your THIRD Laugh-Fest and I couldn’t be more elated that you will be back! You bring such joy and amazement to the festival. People are still talking about your God costume that you wore at the talent show. Tee hee! So tell me, Jane, what do you love about this event?

JANE: First of all, I love being with people who are so joyful and so happy and willing to laugh!  Being surrounded with all that positive energy makes me feel great regardless of what the program might be.  It’s also so interesting and enriching to witness how many different and really creative ways presenters use laughter to heal and create beloved community.  Last but not least, it’s a great place to meet new, wonderful friends!  

LAURA: You’ll be sharing an improvisational exercise with us and I understand saying “yes” means something specific in the context of improvisational theater. Can you tell us more about that?

JANE: One of the most important “rules” of improv is what they call, “Yes, and…”  That’s what you always want to do when you’re making up a scene with a partner.  You agree with the reality presented so far, and you add something new.  If your partner says, “Good morning, darling!  Please sit down and drink your orange juice,” you might say, “Okay!  And afterwards, let’s visit the Louvre!”  What you’ve done is add information to move the scene forward.  Now we know this couple is in Paris.  Even if you don’t agree with the impulse of what’s been offered – for example, if you respond, “Why would I drink my orange juice?  You know I’ve given up Vitamin C for Lent!” – you’re still agreeing with the reality that’s been set up.  That’s fine – it still moves the scene forward.  What you don’t want to do is say, “What are you talking about?  It’s not morning, it’s 6pm in the evening and there’s no chair anywhere to sit on!”  

I think this is a really important rule to follow in the relationships you have or are forming in “real life” – not just on the improv stage.  If we’re going to move forward and together, we have to accept where the other person is coming from, regardless of whether we agree with it or not.  That is the beginning of empathy.  The beginning of peace.

LAURA: YES! That’s beautiful. And this event is all about connection, empathy and peace! What can we expect from the experience of improvising you’ll be bringing?

JANE: I’m not sure what people can expect!  I hope participants will be able to dramatically (and comically!) stretch their imaginations and capacities to say yes.  We’ll play some fun “yes, and” games.  We’ll also have a lot of fun playing a  “No, But” game where participants make a ridiculously huge deal about denying and road-blocking one-another.  This game will, of course, make everyone laugh really hard because it’s so silly and fanciful!  (Even as it might otherwise appear to be a documentary of Congress…..!!!)

LAURA: The congregation I pastor, Our Savior’s Lutheran in Lansing, Iowa, will be welcoming you to lead worship the Sunday of Laugh-Fest. They are really looking forward to having you back as you’ve been a highlight for the last two years when you shared pieces from your Bible Cabaret. What do you plan to offer this year?

JANE: I think I might share about how difficult it is for us to “Yes, And” with God.  In the Bible it’s almost always, “Yes, But” when God calls us on some incredible adventure of faith.   It’s funny not only what excuses comprise our “buts,” but also what we tentatively forfeit in our hesitancies.  Thankfully, God doesn’t let “Yes, But” be our final answer – or at least tries His/Her best to get us to reconsider!  

Also, we’ll be having some fun “Yes, And-ing” with the congregation….

LAURA: A wonderful part of each Laugh-Fest is the talent show, which is now called the Laughter Winners competition in which everyone wins an honorary title. It is hilarious. You’ve been our emcee the past 2 years and this year Celia will be joining you in this task. What should Laugh-Festers consider sharing at the talent show?

JANE: All talents are welcome!  Sometimes people bring fun, silly sketches or songs or talents to share.  Sometimes people bring more serious offerings.  Really, everything goes.  It all brings joy!

LAURA: Jane, you really inspire me! And I think you inspire many people with your performances around the country. But tell me, what inspires YOU?

JANE: One of the things that never ceases to inspire me is the Bible…especially when I get new insight as to how this sacred document functions (as I believe was always intended) as a comedy.  



Another thing that never ceases to inspire me are trips to the thrift store.  I’m always amazed not only at the amazing stuff being sold at amazing prices, but more than that, the stuff that you find there that for whatever reason amazingly one day was made!  There is so much weird, wonderful stuff to be found at thrift stores.  If there was one closer to the Laugh Fest Campground, I would definitely encourage a field trip as a Saturday afternoon option!

Perhaps the thing that inspires me more than anything else, though, is discovering the person who I, for whatever reason, had assumed didn’t like me or had nothing to teach me is the next person I find myself loving and learning from.  I think this is the ultimate message of the Bible, and the ultimate gift of “Yes, And-ing.”

LAURA: YES! So, Jane, what are your hopes for this upcoming Laugh-Fest?

JANE: One of my hopes is that lots of fresh faces will be in attendance.  Both those who are huge fans of Laughter Yoga and related disciplines and those who have never been part of any “laughter” event (except watching Mel Brooks’ movies, of course!)  

I hope the afternoon playshops will provide a rich diversity of opportunities to discover and share joy.


And I guess I also really hope the folks there will think I’m funny.  On purpose!!  ☺

I gave Jane my Bible costume and here she is wearing it at gay pride parade!

YES! Jane is yet another reason to attend this year's Laugh-Fest! Don't miss out. The fun, the profound learning, and the delight is about to unfold.  We want you to be a part of it. Register now by visiting the Laugh-Fest page.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

See you Saturday, Jane!