Tuesday, March 22, 2016

LAUGHFEST INTERVIEWS—PART 5



Karen Misseldine has more than 20 years experience as a Master’s level trained Art Therapist. Karen offers a supportive person-centered approach and is passionate about developing innovated ways to strengthen an individual’s ability to navigate through life’s challenges.

Art therapy is a “doing” form of therapy that promotes self-exploration and contributes to cognitive, emotional and physical health, opening doors to new ways of communicating and being in the world. It provides positive outcomes for all different types of people, from children to the elderly. Karen is excited to be offering an Art Therapy "Playshop" at the Laugh-Fest so participants can experience this profound method.

LAURA: Karen, we are completely thrilled that you’ll be joining us for this year’s Laugh-Fest! You’ll be offering our first-ever art therapy workshop at the Laugh-Fest. Tell us, what is art therapy?

KAREN:  Art Therapy is immersing yourself in the lively creative process!  Art Therapy allows you to try new things, go in different directions, view a mistake as an opportunity to try it again…try a different approach…see it in a new light. It is the use of simple art materials to facilitate healing.  Through expressive and creative mediums participants are invited to explore strengths, feelings, ideas and challenges.   Art therapy is a doing and active form of therapy where the process is the focus, not so much the end product.  In Art Therapy participants have the freedom of knowing that there is no right or wrong way to do art and there are no art skills required!   Art therapists collaborate with their clients to develop both directive and spontaneous art experiences to fit each person's needs.  Art therapist work with individuals, families and groups of all ages in countless settings.

Art Therapy is a master’s level profession that is the marriage of psychotherapy and studio art.  The personal experience and first hand understanding of how art materials work are what makes art therapist unique in the therapy field.  To think like an artist can bring new light to a problem or challenge--knowing that there is never just one way to paint a cat!

LAURA: Wow, that’s fascinating but how—exactly—does it work? Can you give us some specific examples of how art therapy is helpful for your clients?

KAREN:  A woman with chronic pain and a long history of mental health challenges was unable to focus, moving from one struggle to the next without pause as she spoke with me in my office recently.  After a while, I gently redirected her away from her tangent and invited her to choose a colored pencil, letting the color choose her, and trace a circle on a sheet of paper.  Then I invited her to close her eyes as I sounded a chime and asked her to breathe gently and then to slowly open her eyes when the sound of the chime dissipated in the air.  Next I invited her to draw something that brings her peace, anything that comes to her mind.  She slowly drew a small yellow flower tilting to one direction with two very small leaves growing out of a green zigzag suggesting grass with a thin brown line for soil.  She noticed her flower was off center, seeing this as a flaw.  When I asked, “what is the flower facing?”  She said, "the sun!" and titled her drawing, "Flowers Save Me."  Her whole self was noticeably more relaxed and she had a soft smile on her face that radiated through the room.  Simple, yes?  Therapist and Client come together to form Relationship using the creative process as co-therapist.  In this session this woman went beyond the experience of relaxation to the development of a metaphorical statement of herself resulting in increased self-awareness and self-esteem.  She also was able to experience the extra benefit of reduction in psychological and physical pain at least for that moment in time.  

There are so many other examples, but this one has recently particularly touch me.

LAURA: I know you’ve been doing art therapy for a long time and you recently earned an advanced degree in it. Tell us about your educational path to this career?

KAREN: Yes.  I earned a Master’s of Arts in Art Therapy in 1991 from Vermont College.  Since then I served as a Family and Adolescent Therapist doing individual, family and group therapy.  I have spent the last 15 years developing and implementing art and expressive therapy in nursing homes.  I also offer individual, family and group art therapy through my private practice at Therapy Associates in Decorah, IA.  I have developed many therapeutic workshops for grief and bereavement and Mandala workshops to increase self-awareness and to help hone in and nurture a creative practice to help promote healing, wellness and well being.

I recently received my License as Mental Health Counselor (LMHC) after completing some Counseling Graduate course work to advance my degree and to become a licensed therapist.  This license is allowing me to fully practice as an art therapist and mental health counselor in the state of Iowa.  I am currently working part-time as a therapist at Northeast Iowa Behavioral Health in Decorah where I use art therapy with individuals, groups and families.  I also work one day at Waukon Good Samaritan Society with elderly people and part time at my private practice.

LAURA: A few years ago, you and I both appeared in a book titled How to Be Happy written by Joan Liffring Zug-Bourret (link to the book at Amazon). In it, you shared your journey through grief and cancer. Can you tell us a little bit about that and how you’ve managed to keep your joy?

KAREN: Hmmm….yes, I have had the misfortune of losing two brothers and my mom in a relatively short period of time.  The loss of half my family was devastating and is a large part of who I am.  Those were some very intense years.  Through strong support of my father and sister and friends we keep my brothers’ and mom’s memories alive and pursue our lives in ways that we feel are very meaningful to us.  I am blessed to have a career that blends my love of art and creativity with helping others to heal from challenges and pain they have encountered.  

I am also a potter and am so fortunate to live in a community that embraces the arts.  I have been able to make pottery a part of my livelihood and joy.  Nary a week goes by without someone saying,  “Karen, I think of you every morning when I drink my coffee from the cup you made.”  I experience joy when I create the cup and I experience even more joy when I know I have brought joy to someone else.  

LAURA: You also facilitate a breast cancer survivor group called The Comfort Zone. Tell us about that.

KAREN: Yes.  I am a breast cancer survivor of 6 years!  When I was diagnosed it seemed like every time I turned around I was told about another woman, healthy like me, has also been diagnosed with breast cancer.  It seemed to be my mission to reach out and provide support so a support group happened.  We meet monthly to share journeys, lend support, and hold the space for those we have lost.



LAURA: You are also an artist. What mediums do you work in?

KAREN:  I dabble in lots of stuff like painting, drawing, and collage myself and with my clients, but mostly, I am a pottery artist.  My pottery is inspired by nature in color and design.  When I had cancer, trees grew on my pottery and I just could not seem to stop them!  I am intrigued by the design, movement and form of trees and also their strength, flexibility and ability to withstand change and transition.  I am also drawn to how so many others seemed to feel healing in the presence of trees and in the presence of my tree designs.  

Karen's jewelry designs

LAURA: Will Laugh-Festers have the opportunity to buy your pottery works at the festival?

KAREN:  Yes!  I will bring a collection of platters, mugs, cups and other items to sell with a variety of tree, leaf, and dragonfly designs and maybe some of my “happy” sangria inspired ware as well. 

Some of Karen's pottery works are pictured below.






LAURA: This will be your first Laugh-Fest so perhaps you don’t know exactly what to expect (HA HA!) but what are your hopes for the event?

KAREN:  Well, I hope to laugh a little, for sure!  Meet new people and share some healing and inspiring art experiences with those who are interested.  And I am quite certain I will bring back some new energy and inspiration from other presenters and participants.

Karen with her husband, Tom, and their kids

How does art therapy have to do with laughter? You may ask. Well, I believe they share the frontier of healing through creativity and somatic experience. This year's Laugh-Fest will be offering a wider array of healing opportunities than ever before and we are thrilled to have seasoned professionals like Karen who are willing to share their compassion and wisdom with us. We are seeking to have something for everyone so that all can go away enriched, renewed and more whole than ever before. I simply can't wait.

And there is still time to register for the Laugh-Fest of the Midwest at the rock bottom rate of just $199 for the entire weekend including meals and housing! We have done this to make it as affordable as possible so that no one would have to miss out. Please register before April 1 to get this rate.  We ask you to share this blog with anyone who might benefit from this opportunity.  Thanks for helping spread World Laughter. HA HA HA!

No comments: