Wednesday, October 3, 2012

LAUGHTER MINISTRY

Laughter Ministry
I led the annual adult fall retreat at Lutheran Outdoor Ministries Center in Oregon, Illinois this year. It was held September 23-25.


I have to admit that the camp took a leap of faith to invite me. This is usually a theologically solid event for serious Lutherans. The group came prepared to learn a lot and grow in their faith. They knew that it was about the joy of the Lord but I don't think they were quite expecting the childlike playfulness that was awaiting them. Nevertheless, they were amazingly receptive to the unique laughter ministry that I'm developing. We had a fabulous time together. See the picture below as evidence of their enthusiasm.



Here is what the executive director of the camp had to say about it:


I'm a believer now in the power of laughter yoga because Laughing Laura was the retreat leader of Lutheran Outdoor Ministries Center's annual fall adult retreat. Laura had all 16 participants, with an average age of 68, not only laughing and dancing but happier than I've seen them in the past 7 years of retreating here! Pastor Laura Gentry is an AMAZING FACILITATOR. She worked with participants who could be described as serious to stoic. Yet, she motivated them to be silly and laugh until it hurt during the two and a half day retreat. Even the closing worship was very different from the traditional Lutheran services we have at these retreats. Thank you, Laughing Laura, for using laughter yoga and your spiritual gift of teaching to lead our fall retreat. These were the BEST RESULTS I've seen in my time here!
—Russ Senti

Watch the group as they take the Laughter Pledge:



I'm excited to have expanded my laughter ministry. I now have created over twelve hours of Christian laughter programming. This enables groups to go deeper and explore how they can truly embody the joy of their faith. Please consider inviting me to lead your next church or retreat center event. Learn more at www.HolyHysterics.com.



Here's another reminder that there is still time to register for the Laughter Yoga Leader/Teacher retreat I'm offering in Rochester, Minnesota beginning October 19. If you are already a graduate of the Iowa School of Laughter Yoga, you can register as a refresher course for a fraction of the cost! Don't you deserve a laughter weekend to revive yourself? If you're really stressed, consider it a laughter intervention! ha ha! Hurry, though, registration closes October 12!  Call or email me if you'd like to discuss it • laughinglauragentry@gmail.com • 563-880-2699. Woo hoo!

No comments: